>>Myanmar – Cyclone Nargis slammed into the Irrawaddy delta on Saturday, leaving 4,000 dead, 3,000 missing, and hundreds of thousands without shelter. The nation’s military junta made a rare appeal for international assistance. Relief agencies met at the UN’s offices in Bangkok to coordinate their response. Myanmar is scheduled to hold a referendum on a new constitution next week, and the government’s response to the cyclone could shape that vote.
>>Iraq – According to four Shi’ite militiamen captured in Iraq and questioned separately, Hezbollah has been training Iraqi militiamen at a base near Tehran. The U.S. has made such accusations in the past, and Iran has denied those accusations. Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki announced Sunday that Iraq would launch its own investigation into the matter.
>>Somalia – Tens of thousands of people rioted today in Mogadishu over high food prices. The riot began with the refusal of traders to accept old 1,000-shilling notes, which they claim are worsening inflation.
>>Bolivia – Yesterday, Bolivia’s richest region, Santa Cruz, voted overwhelmingly for autonomy in a referendum boycotted by supporters of Evo Morales. The vote, the first of four on greater autonomy for eastern provinces, is seen as a rejection of Morales’s leftist reforms. Morales has said that, because of the boycott, the vote is invalid.
- Zimbabwe – Zimbabwe opposition mulls conditions for run-off
- Nigeria – Nigeria oil rebels say mulling Obama truce appeal
- Zimbabwe – Zimbabwe teachers threaten strike
- Sudan – Sudan to ask donors for $6 bln at Oslo meeting
- Chile – Chilean volcano erupts after 2,000 years of silence
- Brazil – Search continues for Britons missing in Brazil
- U.S. – US ‘to send 7,000 extra troops to Afghanistan’
- Mexico – Mexico Cites Reprisals in Killings of 9 Officers
- Bolivia – Clashes Break Out as Bolivian Province Votes on More Autonomy
- U.S. – Outrage over plans to extract uranium ore from the Grand Canyon
- Malaysia – Malaysia plans women travel curb
- Indonesia – Asian nations to work together on rice
- China – Olympic Torch Begins Three-Month Relay Through China’s Cities
- Taiwan – Awaiting Tourism Deal, Taiwan Is Primed for More Mainland Chinese Visitors
- China – Hundreds protest against China chemical plant
- East Timor – Indonesia extradites East Timor army rebels
- Indonesia – Indonesia detains militant over 2005 Bali bombings
- Latvia – Mass evacuation from Baltic ship
- France – France’s Fillon sticks to reform path despite polls
- Iraq – Iraq First Lady survives bombing
- Yemen – Bid to salvage Shia-Yemen truce
- Israel – Condoleeza Rice: peace in Middle East could be reached this year
- Israel – Rice maintains heat on Israel over settlements
- Iran – Iran to reject incentives that violate atomic rights
- Iran – Iran women activist gets suspended jail sentence
- Israel – Prodded by U.S., Olmert and Abbas meet privately