>>South Africa – Thousands of South Africans took to the streets of Johannesburg to protest the rise in food prices, which have increased by around 14 percent. This protest follows similar demonstrations in Haiti and Indonesia. Wheat prices worldwide have risen 140 percent, while rice prices have increased by 75 percent, mainly due to the skyrocketing cost of oil and the dramatic increase in the global middle class.
>>Russia – Russia has agreed to cancel $4.5 billion of Libya’s debt, accrued during the cold war when it was importing Soviet weaponry, in exchange for deals on energy cooperation and military assistance. Russia also agreed to help Libya construct a 310-mile rail line. Russia’s state-owned Gazprom will now undertake large-scale production and exploration projects in Libya.
>>Burundi – Bujumbura was shelled by the rebel National Liberation Front overnight, causing the government to launch a counter-offensive. The nation is still recovering from a 13-year civil war, sparked by the assassination of the first democratically elected president. All rebel groups have signed a peace agreement except the FNL.
- Nigeria – Hope springs from Nigeria’s offshore oil
- Zimbabwe – Lawyers seek to block China arms shipment to Zimbabwe
- Canada – Jerry Zucker, Industrialist and Inventor, Is Dead at 58
- Venezuela – Chavez accused of oil fund plan for rebels
- U.S. – Penitent Pope meets victims of sexual abuse by priests
- China – Restive Xinjiang: China’s next trouble spot after Tibet?
- China – China activists ‘must curb zeal’
- Pakistan – UN warns Pakistan on refugee plan
- China – China Dissident Loses Chance to Appeal in Subversion Case
- India – Heavy Indian security for Olympic flame
- Russia – Skills shortage hits Russian revival
- Afghanistan – Nato admits mistakenly supplying arms and food to Taliban
- Afghanistan – Suicide bomber hits Afghan mosque
- Russia – Dmitri Medvedev votes were rigged, says computer boffin
- China – Angry Chinese burn French flag outside Carrefour
- Russia – Georgia tells NATO it concerned about Russian plans
- Japan – Japan temple rejects torch relay
- Malaysia – Tamil Newspaper Shut
- Koreas – South Korean Leader Plans New Outreach To the North
- Israel – Palestinian Official Says Talks With Israelis Yield Little
- Israel – Israeli minister offers to talk to Hamas
- Yemen – Yemen MP ‘killed by gunmen’
- Iran – Iran shows off its military might